Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology Answers Your OBGYN FAQs
Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology is your trusted partner for OBGYN services in Houston. Led by Dr. Arturo Sandoval, our highly-skilled medical staff can help you throughout your pregnancy. Along the way, our team will ensure you are aware of what to expect and also help keep you and your baby healthy. We combine cutting-edge technology with exceptional care to provide peace of mind during such a hectic – yet exciting – time in your life. We are also happy to answer any questions you have about your pregnancy, our offices, and what the next several months may entail. Below is a sampling of some of the frequently asked questions about OBGYN services we hear at our office in Houston, TX.
How do I choose an OBGYN when I am pregnant?
Pregnancy can be a thrilling time in a woman’s life. There is anxiety, excitement, fear, and a range of other emotions all intertwined as you await your bundle of joy. It is important to harness those emotions for your sanity and the baby’s health. Partnering with an OBGYN is among the first steps you should take after learning you are pregnant. The team at Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology can help you navigate pregnancy, but it is crucial that you are on the same page with your OBGYN. When selecting your OBGYN, it is essential to consider:
- Qualities you want – There are many qualities to contemplate when choosing an OBGYN, such as credentials, track record, availability, and access to a specific hospital. The team at Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology has extensive experience, and Dr. Sandoval studied at one of the nation’s Best Medical Schools, according to U.S. News.
- Insurance coverage – Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology is happy to work with most insurance providers, but you should review your benefits to understand what type of coverage you have, and which hospitals are “in-network.”
- Delivery – Though your baby’s birth is nearly nine months away, it is vital to make sure any prospective OBGYN understands your wishes regarding induction, pain relief, and cesarean delivery or vaginal birth.
- Reviews and recommendations – Trust the new mothers in your inner circle of friends, family, and colleagues. They will help guide you toward an OBGYN who helped them during pregnancy. Online reviews and testimonials can also be a good source of information regarding reputable OBGYNs.
What questions should I ask my OBGYN when pregnant?
Your pregnancy is a very personal time in your life. No question is out of bounds, and if you think something is important, it is. Dr. Sandoval and the team of professionals at Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology will help calm your nerves by answering any questions you may have, whether this is your first pregnancy or you have been down this road before. Among the common questions we receive from expecting mothers are:
- Who do I call if I have a complication after hours?
- What should I consider an emergency?
- What habits will I need to change during pregnancy?
- Are you qualified to handle someone with my medical history?
- What are your philosophies about elective induction of labor?
- What are my pain management options?
- May I have a natural childbirth?
- When, if ever, do you use fetal monitoring practices or routine IVs?
- Are you affiliated with my preferred hospital?
- Will you continue to assist post-delivery?
The list can continue. You are sure to come up with more questions throughout your term, and we will be there to answer every one.
When should I make my first OBGYN appointment?
As soon as you calm your excitement following a positive home pregnancy test, you should call Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology to schedule an appointment. Good prenatal care is vital to the health of your baby. We can schedule a confirmation of pregnancy appointment to remove any doubt you may have. That will be followed by the first prenatal appointment during your second month of pregnancy, typically between weeks six and eight. However, even before your first prenatal appointment, you should begin acting pregnant. Our team is happy to answer any of your questions or suggest habits you should adopt prior to your first visit.
What should I expect at my first OBGYN appointment?
Your initial OBGYN appointment at Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology will likely be your longest. During this session, Dr. Sandoval and our team will ask you a lot of questions and expect many of yours in return. You can prepare for your visit by organizing your medical history, which will help the appointment go smoothly. We will want to know about your medical history, mental health history, gynecological history, obstetrical history, and any potential disease exposure. You can go the extra mile by preparing a list of any health conditions that run in your or your partner’s families.
During your appointment, you will undergo a general health exam that will include an establishment of baselines for future visits. We will also confirm your pregnancy and put you through a battery of other tests, including bloodwork, genetic carrier screening, and a pap smear. Following the litany of tests, we will discuss you and your baby, answer any questions that you may have, and calculate a due date.
Contact Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology Today
If you are pregnant or expecting to become pregnant, put your trust in Houston Obstetrics & Gynecology for our OBGYN services. Our team of medical experts will guide you through the process and help ensure a healthy mother and child. Pregnancy is a whirlwind, and while it may feel like a lifetime while you are carrying, each passing day is significant. As soon as a positive home test confirms your pregnancy, contact our team to schedule your first prenatal appointment.